When it's time to purchase a new furnace, Mentor residents call Anderson Heating, Cooling & Plumbing because they trust us to get them the best system at the best price. With over 40 years in the industry, we've helped thousands of families resolve their heating problems, and we can help you too. Contact us today for an appointment.
Don’t wait until winter to find out your furnace is giving out. Check out our furnace repairs and call us for a tune-up.
6 Signs Your Furnace Needs Replacing
It's not uncommon to want to hold on to your old furnace for as long as possible. After all, installing a new system is expensive and time-consuming. However, when your heater stops heating, it's time to invest in a new one.
Here are six signs that the system is giving out:
- Age: The average furnace lasts about 18 to 20 years, so if yours is past its prime, it's time to install a new one.
- Rising energy bills: The older your furnace gets, the less efficient it becomes, especially if you've failed to maintain it. A new, high-efficiency model saves you money every month you use it.
- Repair frequency: If you're repairing your furnace every year, it doesn't take long to figure out you'd be better off putting that money toward a new, more reliable system.
- Repair vs. replace cost: If the cost of repairing your old furnace is 50% or more than the price of a new one, getting a new system instead is more economical.
- Unusual sounds: You're used to your furnace making some noise, but when it does something unexpected, like making grinding or popping sounds, it's a sign that something is wrong, and it may be time for a replacement.
- You're not comfortable: If you're constantly fiddling with the thermostat because you're never comfortable, it could mean your furnace can't meet your heating demands.
If you're not sure which direction to go, contact our Mentor, OH furnace experts, and ask them for a furnace consultation.
What Size Furnace Does Your Home Need?
Now that you're in the market for a new furnace, you're likely wondering what size is best for your house. If you get one that's too small, you'll never be comfortable, and the heater will wear out quickly trying to meet your demands. If you get one that's too big, you'll waste money on high energy bills.
A good rule of thumb to get the proper size for your Mentor home is to get a system that gives you 40 to 45 BTUs of heat per square foot in your home. So, if your home is 3,000 square feet, get a furnace that puts out between 120,000 and 135,000 BTUs. Or better yet, consult with your local professional HVAC contractor and have them size the unit for your home.
Are you having a heating or cooling issue? Our heat pump services may be the answer.
Extend the Life Span of Your Furnace With Furnace Maintenance
The best way to keep your furnace running well year after year is to perform routine maintenance. Just like your car, your furnace needs upkeep to run smoothly. Here are a few tips to keep it in top shape.
- Change or clean the filter every month.
- Check the thermostat.
- Make sure your ducts are clean.
- Clean the vents.
- Call an HVAC contractor for annual maintenance.